Saturday, December 06, 2008

Local Wasilla Guy - Christmas Nut

There is a family that lives on the other side of Wasilla that decorates their house and does a spectacular light display set to music. I found out about this from my physical therapist last week. We have not had the chance to go check them out... but thought this tidbit would be fun to share. Here is their website Christmas in AK. Here is an explanation from the "mad scientist" himself from his website for why he does this, 

I have been a Christmas light junkie for as long as I can remember. Growing up in Southern California, our family tradition every Christmas Eve was to go look at the beautiful Christmas lights... Those were memories that I can vividly remember and wanted to create with my daughter.

So after the 1st year living in our new house, I decided I wanted to kick it up a notch. I wanted to be that house people brought their children to and to help Alaskan families make memories for years to come. My wife Karen didn't quite understand my fascination or the power of the lights until she saw our daughters face light up when they turned on. In that moment, she became a believer.

The second reason is actually really a simple one. This is my way of giving back to the community and saying thanks. It truly is amazing the power that those little lights have and the smiles that they bring to the faces of children of all ages. That is my reward.

There are videos of the light shows from 2007 on the website if you're curious and would like a taste. All the donation proceeds from his light show do go to good cause - disabled veterans. 

No comments: