Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Year's Eve 2008

Okay so we live in Alaska and I really can't whine about a little cold weather... or we live in the "banana belt" of Alaska apparently. And this type of cold weather only comes once or twice a winter so you will have to indulge me... we are in the middle of a serious cold snap. When Greg got up this morning the thermometer on the deck had bottomed out, which means that it was below - 25 ℉. It has been - 15 ℉ all day and now as it gets dark at 4: 20 in the afternoon I can only imagine that it is plunging again. Which means that on New Year's Eve any of our neighbors that were thinking of spending carefree moments shooting off fireworks into the wee hours like they do every year are going to be very uncomfortable! Note evil grin here... I like the peace and quiet. 

But this is a time for good cheer still, so I leave you with these words: 

A happy New Year! Grant that I
May bring no tear to any eye
When this New Year in time shall end
Let it be said I've played the friend,
Have lived and loved and labored here,
And made of it a happy year.
~Edgar Guest

One resolution I have made, and try always to keep, is this: To rise above the little things. ~John Burroughs

Best wishes to one and all for the New Year! 

No comments: