We decided it was time to do a tribute to our friendship with Chantelle. We first met her in Djibouti. Greg and I were a new couple at that point. And she was in a new relationship with Paul who would later become her husband. We became fast friends. And she was willing to get out of town and travel with me. We stayed in touch after we left Djibouti, she came to our wedding and I went to theirs. She holds a very special place in Greg's heart because when I went through one of the worst of my surgeries she was there for him and he REALLY appreciated it - to this day when Chantelle is brought up he mentions it and says, "she's good people". So, here's some photos I've drug out of photo albums this weekend to share and reminisce about times past and forever friends.

Chantelle's first day in Djibouti... I was introduced to her by Alice-Ann on the far left, Chantelle replaced her in country...
Before I went to Djibouti I was reading one of the guidebooks and I read about the train from Djibouti to Ethiopia (and how famous it is, dubiously) and I was determined to take the journey. Chantelle was the person who was eager for the adventure. I found a New York Times article about this trip that puts it in perspective for you... that I don't have time to go into here. In this picture I am standing in front of the locomotive in traditional dress. Chantelle and I decided that the likelihood of us being harassed as white ladies would be less if we were respectful of their local customs. I think it worked, plus we used common sense.

The train station in Dire Dawa, Ethiopia where the Djibouti train ends. You can catch another train from here to Addis Ababa the capitol. Our stay in Dire Dawa was not without drama, we were hoodwinked by a taxi driver (resolved after much arguing - I had not negotiated a price with the driver before we headed to the hotel). The second hotel we stayed in had a horrible cockroach problem in the bathroom (we didn't use it!).

Chantelle is posing in front of one of the ancient gates of Harar, Ethiopia (Harar's Wiki Page). This was my intended destination in Ethiopia. I had read in the guidebook how important it is historically (fourth holiest city in Islam) and commercially. Incidentally, some of the best coffee beans come from Harar and before we left Chantelle bought a kilo of green beans to take back with her.

Greg had a US Embassy house that he kept very very cold... to off-set the 120 ℉ temps outdoors that he disagreed with. In this picture we were helping try out a new tent on his living room floor. Notice how young Bob the dog is in this photo!

Chantelle agreed to another excursion where we drove all the way around to Tadjoura in the north of the country in a day trip.
By this time Chantelle was married to the guy in the picture, so cute! We had visited them once before this... but, this visit happened to coincide with our drive to Alaska. Beautiful Banff.
Yep, Greg is enjoying his vacation and Chantelle is as gorgeous as ever! Our lives have naturally slowed down from the travel and excitement of overseas living, but Chantelle, Paul and kiddies have embarked on a new life overseas in Africa themselves. I do have a link to Chantelle's inspiring blog from this blog... check it out sometime. And Chantelle, thank you so much for your continued friendship after all this time and distance. We love you!







3 comments:
That's such a special tribute. Nothing better than those truly true friends who are present for special events, make adventures even more special, and are willing to go out of their way to be supportive during tough times--and realize that it's important to be supportive.
A very nice tribute for a great friend. We enjoyed our time with her and Paul recently. They are "good people"
Scott G
AWW! :) You brought tears to my eyes. So unexpected. But, Aren't you supposed to do a tribute once someone is dead? hehe. Thanks guys. Love you both too, and have so many awesome memories and experieces together, even the painful ones that bind us, that we will never lose touch. Can't wait until we can see you both again! And i love the pics. In a few i look bedraggled and jetlagged. haha. good times those days. And i only wish i could keep my house here in Niger even half as cool as Greg had his. The list of memories could go on and on. We talk of you often.
Love Chantelle
Post a Comment